How to bake a simple cake
Baking a cake could not be simpler when you follow these easy steps. You just need a good recipe and fresh ingredients to ensure you create a tasty masterpiece. There is nothing better than the smell of warm cake wafting through your home and you will definitely satisfy your friends and families empty bellies.
For how to bake a simple cake, just follow these 10 easy steps:
- Check your cupboard. Do you have the right pan / cake tins needed for the job? Check you have depth and diameters as required. To grease a pan, you will need about half a tablespoon of butter, vegetable oil or shortening. Some recipes suggest greaseproof paper so make sure you have this available too.
- The next step on how to bake a simple cake, ensure you have all the ingredients ready and at room temperature other than the butter and milk which will have been stored in the refrigerator.
- Most recipes ask you to preheat the oven so always double check this at the start of preparation.
- Most recipes to bake simple cakes require a mixture of dry and liquid ingredients. Ensure you measure them out correctly and add them to the mixture in the order the recipe suggests you should do
- To mix the cake mixture, make sure you follow the recipe instructions. Recipes can vary in equipment requirements such as mixers, blenders etc. Follow the instructions accordingly and always scrape down bowl sides to make sure all the cake batter is mixed correctly.
- Don’t fill cake tins more than 2/3 full as cakes rise during the baking process. A good tip on how to bake a simple cake is to always gently tap the cake pan to ensure any air bubbles are released before baking
- To bake the cake, position the cake tins in the centre of the preheated oven. Don’t allow the tins to touch the side of the oven or any other tins whilst inside.
- Always make sure you close the oven door gently and immediately. Follow the recipe timings and try not to open the oven door while you bake the cake as this will alter the heat.
- To check the cake has baked correctly, use a small wooden skewer and insert in the centre of the cake. If when you remove, it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, return to the oven for a few more minutes before checking again using the same wooden skewer method. The cake should be a golden brown colour and will smell simply delicious.
- To cool the cake, place on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. To remove from the cake tin, run a small knife around the sides (between the cake and tin) and loosen. Place the rack over the top of the cake and gently turn upside down.
It really is as easy as the 10 easy to follow steps above. This is an easy way on how to bake a simple cake and remember, practice makes perfect so keep up the good work